Thursday, January 3, 2008

Wake Up Calls

This morning at about 9:15am I was laying in bed not wanting to get up yet. Tennis was still sleeping and so I thought I would take advantage of it. Then I heard something that sounded like a really large furnace kicking on. I didn't know what it was. Then all of a sudden all the smoke alarms went off and of course it woke Tennis up and frightened him. So as I was trying to calm Tennis down and figure out why they were going off water started pouring out of one of the smoke alarms in the hallway and soon to follow out of the swamp cooler and any hole or crevice in our walls. Luckily it was isolated to just our hallway, bedroom and bathroom.

After calling maintenance and our neighbors below us to warn them of the flash flood coming their way I emptied a total of 11 large mixing bowls of water from under one smoke alarm and 15 pots of water from under our swamp cooler.

Luckily the maintenance man showed up shortly after the call and shut the water off. Come to find out there was a pipe that connected to our swamp cooler that had frozen and the water hadn't been shut off too. So once it thawed it burst. Our poor neighbors though. Gravity took hold and water was coming out of everywhere on the east side of the house for them. Atleast they don't have carpet in most of the area that it had flooded into.

Anyway the problem has been resolved now. Thank heaven for our handy man, as limited as his knowledge is, he fixed it for now. Old house are fun but man do they come with their surprises.

3 comments:

Brian and Amelia said...

Sounds like an eventful day! How did you fare through all of it? You should've called me to come help! Sorry that had to happen to you, I'm sure it wasn't very fun. I hope that it's all taken care of, now, and that you don't have any more problems!

Brian and Amelia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bambi said...

Everything is good now. The event came and went quickly. Cleaning took more time than anything. But hey atleast I got my house spring cleaned.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online